At New Brighton, we support our children to use their natural creativity and imagination.
In D.T we encourage children to express themselves through a variety of medium with topics covering food, textiles and construction. In food the children are given the opportunity to learn about healthy lifestyles (to support their learning in P.E and reduce obesity levels within the school), food safety and hygiene and preparing their own dishes. D.T provides our children with practical learning opportunities that will be transferred to the wider world.
Their skills are developed using a range of tools, materials and machines, as well as having the time to evaluate and discuss their ideas. Through D.T we aim to build children’s independence, responsibility and confidence. Our children take great pride in the products they create and thrive from the learning experience.
Together we will:
- Work in partnership with families and the wider community to achieve the highest standards of learning and behaviour.
- Develop and maintain an ethos of mutual respect and promote self-esteem, responsibility, independence and confidence whilst recognising individual strengths.
- Promote positive attitudes and understanding of healthy lifestyles and physical activity.
- Provide a learning environment which enables children to become happy, secure and resilient.
- Build on the positive relationships with home and the wider school, national and global communities to promote respect and inclusion for all.
- Prepare all children for the challenges ahead, embracing technology and promoting a life-long love of learning.
D.T is primarily taught through topic in a two week block at the end of each term. Each child will complete a food, textiles and construction project by the end of their year. The skills taught in these areas are progressive to ensure a thorough learning journey.
In Year 5 the children have the opportunity to go to Mosslands to create an Anglo- Saxon badge using computer aided design and computer aided machine.